|Road safety is to drive safely without harming to any vehicle or a person. Rule and regulation are set to fight against the accidents. Road safety is emerging as a major social concern in the country. The statistics are mind boggling with an average mortality rate of 100,000 persons dying in road accidents. According to a survey from World Health Organization, each year 1.2 million men, women, and children around the globe get injured in road accidents. The countries like India, where pedestrians, motorcyclists and passengers are vulnerable and vehicles lack the safety norms, the death toll is higher.
Nothing is more precious than life, so to avoid even the minor factors that can create a difference between life and death, it is better to follow traffic rules and regulation.
Below mentioned are some of the tips to avoid accidents on road:
Tips while crossing the road:
Use safe place to cross the road, such as, subways, footbridges, zebra and traffic light crossings
- See both the sides of the road i.e. left to right/right to left while crossing
- Crossing the street in groups can be a safe way to cross because a driver is more likely to see a large group, rather than a single person
- Always follow traffic signals. Only when the signal says 'walk', then you should cross the street
- Never run into the street to catch a ball or an animal
- Try to avoid walking at night
- Keep looking and listening while you cross.
Tips while driving:
- Don't use your mobile phone whilst driving
- Belt up in the back
- Don't drink and drive
- Always adhere to speed limits
- Keep your eyes on the road
Be alert near parked cars. Someone could open a car door or pull out in front of you
- Don't drive while you feel sleepy
- Keep your distances from another vehicle
- Use dipper at night
- Follow traffic rules.
Apart from following above mentioned tips, the most important is to wear helmet. While selecting a helmet some facts should be considered:
- It should not obstruct vision
- It should not impair with hearing
- It should be light weight
- It should not cause fatigue which causes crashes
- It should not cause skin diseases
- It should not increase the probability of neck injuries.